Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Interview with Tim - The Man on the Spectrum’s Journey: Finding His way

Hey readers,

After a long break, I am back with more blog posts and of course, more amazing writers to introduce you to. Let's meet the author of the novel: The Man on the Spectrum’s Journey: Finding His way.



To start off this interview, tell us a little about yourself.

I am from Claymont Delaware, and I am about to begin a new job at a banks public sector role right now.  I am the youngest of 6 children.  I am married and have an adopted 2-year-old daughter.


Can you tell us a little about your book, The Man on the Spectrum’s Journey: Finding His way? 

It’s about my life and the things surrounding it, between the years of 2012 and 2019.  It was during those years that I was starting to be recognized as on the Autism Spectrum, but someone who was high functioning, and there are stories and events in the book that parallel my experiences.  There are bad people with superficial motives, and also good, well meaning people who are helpful and supportive but cannot help him alone.


What is something, other than writing,  that you are passionate about? 

I am very passionate about music, comedy, and travel.  I am also very passionate about my faith, helping people including my church parish.


When did you first realize you wanted to write a book? 

I may have had a desire beginning as early as 17 years of age, over 34 years ago.  I may read interesting nonfictional facts in almanacs, and stories behind entertainers and TV shows.  

Did you ever submit any stories as a kid or teenager? Or do you remember the very first story that you wrote? What was that about? 

I had never formally submitted any of my stories for a professional reviewer.  But I did write a few for teachers, and others who asked me to write essays and things for classes.

My very first story was about my first song, entitled “Kristen,” which was a love song, in which I added a back story behind my meeting her and interacting with her.  It was quite an adventure of emotions between the ages of 12 and 18, when I attended school with her from 7th grade to my senior year of high school.


If you didn’t write for a living, what would you probably do for work?

I would probably be doing work in a bank or some corporate setting, but only by default because it’s the career I kind of fell into through my schooling, temp to hire roles and one thing leading to another.  I do volunteer to play music for my contemporary church choir from time to time.


Are you an early bird or a night owl? 

I have become an early bird from a life of working odd shifts as well as common “bankers” work shifts.  I became that way after getting married and working a 3rd overnight shift, which changed my circadian rhythm, as it’s so-called. But before getting married, I did not enjoy having to rise early for school or work and preferred staying up late.


What inspired you to start a YouTube Channel? 

I figured out how through using the app.  I was hesitant because I feared too many people would see it and think I was making a fool of myself.  But I’ve found it to be a good tool to find ways to express my talents in small ways.  However, usually it's a struggle to be noticed on my “T Daniel” YouTube channel, and to this day don’t get much exposure.


How has writing changed you or the life around you? What was your life before writing? 

It’s something that gives me purpose, other than being there for my family.  It feels good when they show support, but I’ve found that they worry about me and what I reveal about myself and them through my creativity.


What’s your favorite writing software? 

I use the Pages app on my smartphone to do my writing.  I used the old fashioned way of writing on paper, then transferring what I wrote on the really cool Pages documents.  I’ve utilized voice to text, tried voiceover systems to hear it, and it’s helpful in making me catch mistakes, grammar errors and such.  For awhile, an app called Grammarly was useful but was complicated and detected too much at times and was too time consuming.


Who has been the biggest supporter of your writing? 

I would say my sister Linda has seemed very supportive and has complimented me on it, asking questions that I can appreciate about life and characters.  Also, a former coworker named Kalyn from TPI, The Precisionists, Inc.,  is someone I’m in touch with on social media and likes hearing what I write, and that’s encouraging.


What does your writing space look like? Do you prefer to write in an office or rather in an open space such as a park?

It has changed all the time.  It’s usually my bedside when I can’t sleep in a dark dimly lit setting.  The more quiet the better.


What is your favorite thing to do for relaxation or how do you spend your time when you are on break? 

I will sometimes take walks, when the weather is nice. I enjoy swimming in the summer, and just laying back to watch TV or YouTube.


Do you read a lot? If yes, who is your favorite author? 

I have been an admirer of a strange range of writers, from ancient ones who wrote the Bible stories, to the writers of the classics, like John Steinbeck, Harper Lee, Charles Dickens, Stephen King, or maybe even Peter Benchley who wrote “Jaws.”


Do you have a specific schedule that you follow or do you just write whenever you wish to? 

I write whenever I wish to, and apply my excerpts into a more organized story later.


Where do you want to travel next? 

I want to go to Florida again soon, since it’s been years since I was there last, plus take my little girl there for the first time in the next year.  Long term I’d like to see Europe, Asia and Australia or New Zealand one day.


Do you have a favorite quote that you would like to share with us?  

"All things in moderation".


If you had to meet a character from your novel, who would it be? 

Here’s where it gets interesting, because I have met already people who inspired my characters.  But if I were a reader getting to know the characters, I’d like to meet my main character’s mother, who in the book is in her 80s, and would like to learn of her life experiences, especially raising kids, being a caretaker for minor children between the 1940s and 1980s.

Also, I’d love to meet Deanna at a different time when she was single and younger.  Even though she’s very professional and dignified, there’s a certain “sexy” side to her as a leader, with the dark red hair and Irish family background, and someone who is Ken’s boss, despite being a female who is younger than him and attractive.  But being married kept both of them off limits from each other romantically.  


What advice would you give to a new writer who wants to publish their first novel? 

Have patience, and be willing to invest, mostly in time and materials.  These days, if not paper and pen, then apps.


Is there anything that you would like to add or share in this interview?

My characters are people that I would really love for people to take time and get to know.  Also, if they could visualize them and provide their own feedback from what they get from this story, the morals and such, I would consider that a success.  If you think it was interesting at all, wait until you read my prequel, my work in progress.  It’s a real humdinger!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Please leave the link of your blog so I can return the love and appreciate your blog as well. Thank you! :)